30 June 2021

Rose and different backgrounds

Rose got a cute crocheted dress.
Bought it from a lady who makes clothes for Barbies and sells these outfits.

While I was sewing something new for my Sindy after giving her some extra care, I wanted to take a break from the sewing. I took Rose, my BMR1959 curvy Barbie. A bit inspired by Monster Crafts different backgrounds and photography I wanted to take some quick photos and then edit them in iPiccy - took the effect 'Bloom' at 50% on every photo, but not on the photo with the pebbles. That photo is without editing, just the blog name. I took it later during the day, when the sun started to set and get a more softer tone.






This is not an advanced post, just wanted to share how different backgrounds and the same editing looks. I was expecting that lighter backgrounds would have highlighted the very dark skin she has. The backgrounds that made her skin color pop was the grass and the leopard pattern.



I felt that the daylight was very harsh, because of the sun and no clouds to soften it. The sun can be rather harsh here during summer and during winter, when the snow reflects. The sunlight can create hard shadows and often it is better to take photos indoors, and use the sun coming through interior windows. But even this light was rather harsh.

My favourite.


Rose needs color, like green grass or a red rose. Even nature with green nature and red buildings, as in Pershyttan work much better than mild backgrounds. Those who know and work with photography talk about white backgrounds and soft beige backdrops never go out of style. Wallpapers can give different effects and depth and work best for food or product photography or if you want to have a cohesive style on your site for photography or on Instagram. 

I like the one with the grass and the leopard pattern. It is a fabric I have. 

I hope that you are doing well. Stay safe.

6 comments:

  1. Oh! I'm glad to hear that I inspired you to try different backgrounds! Honestly, it means a lot to me to see people get inspired by my blog and giving their own spin to my projects.

    Your photos turned out great, in my opinion. I do agree, dolls with such dark skin look great against bright and colorful backgrounds. They also look beautiful dressed up with colorful clothes. The grass one is one of my favourites, and a nature background always looks great against dolls. One of the colors that I think flatters most dolls is a luminous light blue. I got a piece of cardstock paper (50x70cm) at the stationary store for less than 1€ and it's one of my go-to backgrounds. Cardstock is great, you can always roll it up for easy storage.

    Hope you're feeling well and staying healthy. Wish you a lovely rest of the week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, sometimes the energy just kicks in and you want to try something after getting inspired. Glad you like the photos, because I think these were okay. I used my smart phone, it was the quickest way to take some photos.

      Her dark skin made it a bit harder and in some of the photos I took, and did not post, her eyes just disappeared. I have some colored papers and even some thicker papers for different crafting and bullet journals that I can use if I take portrait photos. I bought thicker boards for a future doll room. These are white and I tried one for my BJD, but the background was too light.

      I should try cardstock. I have seen that some use pictures from magazines as a background, should try that too.

      Enjoy the weekend!

      Delete
  2. Good to see you being so adventurous Niina. I agree the grass makes a wonderful background, and certainly a lovely contrast to her skin colour, but no matter what background you use, dark skin dolls always seem to be the most problematic.
    Big hugs,
    X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes you need to be a bit adventurous. I would love to be so a bit more and hope to be during the summer vacation. Sometimes I can be a bit lazy, though. :D

      Rose is the doll with the darkest skin in my collection and sometimes it can be hard to photograph her. It works best in soft sunlight and with colors around her like blue, green and red. I red an article about photographing darker skin tones after taking photos of Rose. There is so much to think about, like undertones, using light and walls to give the photo a depth…and what you can do with editing. Learned a lot for the next time.

      Big hugs!

      Delete
  3. Hello Linda, great that you like the photos! It was fun to play around a bit and see the difference with backgrounds. Monstercrafts have some great tutorials and ideas. Hope to test out the crates some day, because I found some materials I can use.
    Fabrics with prints are great to use. I did so one year when the kids were small and I wanted to take some photos.
    And practice makes perfect! :)
    Big hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, it is one of the good things in this hobby and probably in many other hobbies too. Getting inspired by others and moving forward, exploring new things. And thanks, Rose is photogenic! :)

    ReplyDelete

Make me happy, send me a comment! Thank you!