21 June 2021

A dress or two

This dress belongs to Esther, but I wanted to try it on Genevieve. 

After my days with Covid-19, I wanted to do something easy and nice for my Dollmore Catish Reaa. She has been neglected for a while and I do not have so many clothes for her, so it felt like a good thing to start there. Usually I sew a dress or two in one day, if it is a simple patterns as this one from Antique Lilac. But these two took me a couple of more days, just because I did not have the energy. In a way I am not pleased with the result for the second dress. Need to do something about that or maybe even start from the beginning.

Short and tight, could not close the buttons on the back. Cute, though.

The other dress, in pink and white dots in different sizes. 

It all began with some photos of Genevieve and me trying out a dress I made to Esther for a while ago. It suits Genevieve but it is a bit short and too tight around her chest, so I thought I could take the pattern and just resize it a bit. Worked wonders with the blue fabric, but not so well with the pink one.

Fabric and pattern. The fabric is from an old top from my oldest daughter. 
She gave it to me and said: "Make something for your dolls".

Made the sleeves a bit longer and the bodice a bit tighter in the waist. 

A very beautiful pattern in this stretchy fabric.

I sewed by hand, because it felt easier than pulling out the sewing machine. It felt good to just sit and let the needle, thread, fabric and hands do their work. Took some photos outdoors in our forgotten garden. We need to fix some smaller things there, but that is for an another day. 

Genevieve posing against the tree that is between our garden and the neighbours. 
They have several cats and one black/white cat wondered what I was doing.

I really like this dress on her. It was fun to make.

Genevieve, a favourite of mine. 

This was all for today. Hope that you are feeling well and enjoying your dolls. Stay safe. I am feeling much better. 

8 comments:

  1. Hi Niina! Glad to see you back here on the blogosphere. I'm happy to hear you're feeling better now, even if your energy is still a bit low. But you managed to sew some outfits and come here to talk about them, which to me looks like a good sign.
    I really like the blue dress. It fits her like a glove, and the scale of the flowers is perfect. I also love the color blue, so it's a 10/10 for me. Maybe if the pink one doesn't work it could become a t-shirt?

    Here we're staying as safe as possible. My partner will have his first Covid shot later this week, and I'm so relieved. Of course, we'll still be careful just in case. Hope you're staying safe and enjoying your dolls too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! It feels good to be back, even with the energy being low. That is something I have to let take the time it needs to get back to normal. I took my second vaccine yesterday and my arm is sore at the moment and I am tired after it. But that will pass in a day or two, said the nurse.

      I am glad that you like the blue dress. It really turned out well, if I may say so. That fabric is more stretchy and it was easier to work with. The pink fabric has some stretch in it, but something feels wrong. I have thoughts about redoing it and make the top of the dress in some other way. Or it can be a t-shirt or even a crop top. At the moment my Sindy doll is getting some loving.

      Hope that it goes well for your partner and his first Covid shot. I even hope that the side effects will be mild. Be safe!

      Delete
  2. Hi Niina!
    So pleased you aare feelng better and up to sewing. I enjoy sewing by hand too, especially is its fiddly things like setting in sleeves. You did a wonderful job of the blue dress and the colour looks lovely on Genevieve.
    Big hugs,
    X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello and thank you, it really is good to be back again on my two feet. I have been outside too, to get some warm sun, in our little garden.
      I have some of the blue fabric left, so I hope I can make something else with that too. She suits in darker colors.
      Big hugs!

      Delete
  3. Hello Linda! Thank you, I prefer to sew by hand when it comes to those smaller doll clothes. Even if Genevieve is my largest doll with her almost 45 cm, it makes it easier to sew by hand when it comes to the details. I like to recycle clothes, some fabrics are just amazing. It is the same with yarn too, you can make so much of it. Great with a pile of fabrics! Look forward to seeing what you make of it. Big hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad to read you are feeling better.
    The dress is lovely and Genevieve looks so pretty wearing it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It feel good to feel better and my lungs are back, as long as I do not walk too fast. :) Thank you, I love to sew more and make some outfits. Would love to make some pants to Genevieve, but her legs are so long and her hips has a different form compared to other MSD. Skirts are easy. Well, some day I will figure out that too! :)

    ReplyDelete

Make me happy, send me a comment! Thank you!