02 February 2020

Two new action dolls



After a meeting at the younger daughter’s school (all is very good, she is behaving) husband and I took a trip to DollarStore, just for fun. Took a peek at the toy section and saw some Star Wars toys and collectibles. Was not sure if I liked the dolls made by Hasbro, with mold on clothes and decided to leave them on the shelf.





Two days later I changed my mind, so on the way from school and work, my daughter and husband went in at picked them up. And I had luck. During the two days the dolls had almost disappeared from the shelfs. Two Leia and one Rey were left. That was close.




These two are more collectible action figures than jointed dolls like Barbie or similar. Most of the clothes are mold on, that is a bit annoying. One is Star Wars Forces of Destiny Rey of Jakku doll with BB-8 and the other one is Star Wars Forces of Destiny Princess Leia and R2-D2. Both dolls are around 12’’ tall and can move around the torso, have joints in the knee, elbow, shoulders, hips, wrists and neck. If you pull the legs together they move one of the arms in a shooting movement. Nothing for me, as a collector, but absolutely fun for the younger players. The face ups are simple and so even the details on the droids, but it works and I am pleased. Clothes are well made, that is the parts that are not molds.




In this series of Super Hero Girls comes even two more dolls - Rogue One’s Jyn Erso and Rebels’ Sabine Wren. Have heard that there is plans for more similar toy and who knows, maybe even Marvel figures and not only Star Wars. Padmé Amidala is one in the collection, but I have not seen her in stores though. The first collectibles came to the market in 2017, officially announced on a Star Wars Celebration in Orlando. 

I do not think that I have any luck finding the other versions and dolls, but I will keep my eyes open.

13 comments:

  1. Hello Linda! I agree, the quality of these dolls are very good and accurate to the characters, so I am very pleased with that. The hair is real and that is a good thing. Watched a box opening on Youtube and the owner said that the dolls hairdo's are great, so do not open the buns or braids. The droids are so cute, so I was glad to get them too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Niina!
    I haven't seen these before, so it was interesting to read about them. I really like the little droids, but I'm not sure if I would purchase the figures myself, even though the quality looks pretty good. As you say they are probably meant for younger collectors, or die hard Star Wars figure collectors.
    Big hugs,
    X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! The droids are the best in these kits and then I do like the faces of the dolls, too. Some day I may take off their heads and use some other more 'normal' bodies and make clothes to them. I do like Star Wars and have seen the movies, but I do not mind testing my ways. And giving just 9USD for these dolls gives me more 'room' to explore the alternatives. :)
      Big hugs!

      Delete
  3. I have that Ray too. I was a bit annoyed about the molded pants but I think you could still sew something to cover that if you really want to. I have mine as displayed action figures so it doesn't worry me as much. I didn't know more were going to be released though. I'd have to keep my eye out and see what they look like. Did you see the new Star Wars style Barbie dolls that are out currently? I think you can find them on the Barbie website under the Signature label.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leia’s body, except the feet and head are molded. I can work with Rey a bit more because there is other dresses she had too, in the Star Wars. But until that they will stand as action figures, just for display.
      I saw the Star Wars style Barbie and they sure are beautiful. Would not mind to own them all, especially R2-D2. That is one cool Barbie!

      Delete
  4. Hi there! Nice find! I saw the Forces of Destiny dolls online when they came out, but I didn't see them in stores until a couple of months ago. I guess Europe always gets the stuff later.
    I like the dolls, but I'm not really into them. I would only get them if I found a bargain, I'm not willing to pay full price for them. I agree, clothes seem pretty well made and the hair seems to have good quality. If Mattel had made this, Rey's hair would have been molded.
    I love the droids, I saw them on your Instagram a couple days ago, but I thought they were sold separately.

    Have a nice rest of the week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello!
      I feel rather lucky to have gotten these two for a bargain. I made a search at online toy stores and the prices could differ a lot. One store took 25 USD for Rey and almost 36 USD for Leia - the same kits with doll and droid. Dollarstore has some nice things and for a good price too, when it comes to toys. Usually the most toys comes later to stores over here in the Nordic parts. If I really want something, it will be best to order online.
      The droids are a great addition to the dolls and I can use them as props too for my other dolls.
      Enjoy the weekend!

      Delete
  5. I agree that the Forces Of Destiny line are more action figures than dolls. I have a Sabine Wren that I bought secondhand because I love dolls with what I call 'fantasy hair colors'. Sabine has fabric pants, but her top is molded. I always try to redress my dolls that have molded clothing, and I was lucky enough to find Leia's poncho from the Forces Of Destiny Endor set. That set originally would have come with an Ewok. Anyway, the poncho was in a bag lot of doll clothing that I bought secondhand, and I think the splotchy green fabric of the poncho looks good with Sabine's brown two-tone pants.
    Signed, Treesa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Teresa and welcome to my blog!
      I have been keeping my eyes open for Sabine Wren and something that I can use as extra clothing for both these action figures. I like the hair color on Sabine Wren, so I can understand that you have her in your collection. The poncho would be a great clothing to find. Need to check the sales and hope for the best. Or maybe just sew one? :)

      Delete
  6. Oh what a coincidence because I also was looking at these two dolls last week and thought about buying them because I liked their faces, however I decided that I didn't like the moulded on clothing, so I left them in the shop. They have really good faces though, don't they!
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a funny coincidence! They do have really good faces. Have been looking at the neckline, just to see if it will be difficult to take the heads off. The size of the doll is just perfect and I have even thought about 'grinding' the molds to a more body like features. But that needs a lot of work and effort. And the right sand paper. Would be a lot to fix on Leia, easier on Rey. Until that, I have them on display. :)
      Hugs!

      Delete
  7. They look really good on your photos. I'm not plannig to buy them by myself, but I enjoy watching them here. Congrats on new dolls! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Hope to take some more photos out in the nature, when the weather gets better. The storms are here now.

      Delete

Make me happy, send me a comment! Thank you!